International Data Corporation released third-quarter African mobile phone market data that revealed near-total dominance by Shenzhen-based Transsion Holdings in both the smartphone and feature phone markets. Overall, African mobile phone growth remained solid with smartphone shipments up 4% in the last quarter and the total overall market-topping 55 million units.
Transsion: The One Company That Rules Them All
- FEATURE PHONES: Transsion’s family of brands including Tecno, Infinix, and Itel command an impressive 64% of the total African feature phone market. This is an important metric because feature phones currently make-up just under 60% of the total market.
- SMARTPHONES: Transsion also leads the market in smartphones that are becoming increasingly popular among consumers. Together the Transsion brands lead with 36.2%, Samsung is second with 23% and China’s Huawei is third in the market with 11.4%.
Smartphone growth is driven by demand in Africa’s three largest markets in Nigeria, South Africa, and Egypt.
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.