Agathe Demarais, Global Forecasting Director at the Economist Intelligence Unit, shared this compelling chart today that illustrates a dramatic drop off in Chinese investment and construction spending in 2019. She noted:
- Financing for BRI projects everywhere sharply slowing
- Slowdown especially acute in Europe
- BRI projects still rising in the Middle East and Africa
It’s important to note that this data from the American Enterprise Institute was from last year, so it’s likely that 2020 spending will be even lower as the Chinese government and state-owned enterprises grapple with the impact of COVID-19.
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.