There’s growing anger among U.S. conservatives over the World Health Organization’s handling of the burgeoning COVID-19 and the international body’s close ties with the Chinese government. Additionally, these U.S. critics contend that the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has the backing of Beijing in part because of his Ethiopian nationality.
- THE FEDERALIST: “Tedros was the perfect puppet for China, because his Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front was already a patsy for the CCP. Addis Ababa is known as “the city that China built,” with the CCP funding the construction of everything from the metro system to highways and skyscrapers throughout the city, as well as the $200 million headquarters of the African Union.” (READ MORE)
- THE HILL: “We believe the organization’s director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, like China’s Xi Jinping, should be held accountable for recklessly managing this deadly pandemic. Tedros apparently turned a blind eye to what happened in Wuhan and the rest of China and, after meeting with Xi in January, has helped China to play down the severity, prevalence, and scope of the COVID-19 outbreak.” (READ MORE)
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Full access to the News Feed that provides daily updates on Chinese engagement in Africa and throughout the Global South.