The controversial documentary about Enock Alu, a teenager growing up in a Chinese Buddhist orphanage in Malawi, who is torn between his African identity and his Chinese upbringing is now available to view for free online for a limited period.
The film, produced and directed by South African native Nicole Schafer, was released last April and has made the rounds on the international film festival circuit. Until now, it’s been difficult, if not impossible, to access the film online. As can be seen in the reviews below, the film has drawn both praise and criticism.
The producers have apparently reached an agreement with Al Jazeera English for digital distribution but only until August 15, 2020.
Reviews for Buddha in Africa:
- Variety: ‘Buddha in Africa’ Director Nicole Schafer on China’s Soft Power Play by Christopher Vourlias
- Africa as a Country: Buddha in Africa by Masauko Chipembere
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.