The appointment of Sun Qiang, a Chinese businessman, to the position of Development Chief (Nkosuohene) in the small southern Ghanaian town of Kwahu-Abetifi has prompted widespread outrage.
Sun was awarded the honor after he donated $5,000 to build a new school in Abetifi. Although it’s not uncommon for foreigners to be named Nkosuohene, there’s clearly a sense of unease about a Chinese national receiving the honor.
A lot of people expressed concern on social media and in essays on leading Ghanaian news sites that the optics of Sun riding on the shoulders of local villagers is reminiscent of the country’s painful colonial past.
- GhanaWeb: Ghana giving treasures away and making Chinese benefactors chief by Dr. Kwaku A. Danso
- Face2FaceAfrica: A Chinese man has just been made chief in Ghana by Mildred Europa Taylor
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.