Given China’s extensive involvement in building transportation infrastructure in Kenya, it’s not surprising that Chief Secretary James Macharia was high on the list of key cabinet stakeholders to meet, as the newly-arrived Chinese ambassador, Zhou Pingjiang, settles into his new role.
Among the key issues confronting the two sides is how to manage Kenya’s inability to repay its debts for the Chinese-financed standard gauge railway and completing the new Likoni floating bridge that is currently under construction by the China Road and Bridge Corporation.
- Business Daily: SGR reveals Sh21bn loss as China firm debt rises
- The East African: Renegotiate SGR loan terms to avoid default, House tells Kenyan Treasury
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.