A second batch of Chinese-made COVID-19 vaccines arrived in Cairo on Tuesday, according to a report in the Egypt Today newspaper. Altogether, the Chinese have shipped 100,000 doses to Egypt over the past week that will inoculate 50,000 people.
Egyptian health ministry officials say they plan to import as much as 10 million doses from China and have said they’ll provide the vaccines to its people free of charge.
The government will also launch a new website that will allow residents to reserve doses of COVID-19 vaccines for themselves and immediate family members.
So far, Egypt is the only African country to have received Chinese-made vaccine shipments.
- Arab News: Egypt receives second batch of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine
- Egypt Today: 2nd batch of Chinese Coronavirus vaccine arrives in Cairo with 50k doses
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.