Two conservative U.S. media outlets, Breitbart News and the National Review, used Democrat Senate candidate Jon Ossof’s role in producing a 2015 China-Africa documentary for Al Jazeera English as purported evidence that the Georgia politician is purportedly sympathetic to China.
Ossof was CEO of the documentary film company Insight TWI that produced a two-part documentary for AJE, “The Battle for Africa” hosted by award-winning Sierra Leonean journalist Sorious Samura (editor’s note: right-wing media controversy aside, this is an excellent documentary series well worth watching even six years later).
Both conservative media outlets indirectly implied that Ossof’s role in the production reveal some kind of soft allegiance to the Chinese Communist Party’s objectives in Africa.
The Georgia Senate run-off election will take place today.
SUGGESTED READING AND VIEWING:
- National Review: How Does Ossoff Think about China? A Documentary He Made on Beijing’s Investment in Africa May Hold Clues by Tobias Hoonhout
- Breitbart News: Ossoff’s Company Produced Documentary Praising China’s Rise in Africa by Kristina Wong
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.