Visiting Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi wrapped up the first day of his weeklong tour to five Africa countries in the Nigerian capital Abuja on Monday. Wang made no public appearances and instead met with various Nigerian ministers including his counterpart Geoffrey Onyeama and Transportation Minister Rotimi Amaechi, according to Nigerian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ferdinand Nwonye.
Wang also reportedly held talks with defense, trade, and health ministers.
So far, the Chinese foreign minister’s visit to Nigeria has been rather low key, with no images of his arrival or detailed press coverage of his various meetings. Oneyama and Wang are expected to convene a joint press conference but there’s no word yet as to when that will take place.
Wang is scheduled to leave Abuja later on Tuesday for Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Vanguard: Chinese foreign minister on two-day state visit to Nigeria by Victoria Ojeme
- Global Times: FM kicks off Africa visit in new year for 31 straight years, showcasing the unshakable friendship by Liu Xin, Cao Siqi and Li Aixin
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.