A large-scale vaccination drive in the western Zimbabwean city of Victoria Falls that’s led to a plunge in the COVID-19 infection rate is prompting officials to claim they reached herd immunity. The Chinese embassy celebrated the success on Twitter on Monday, highlighting the fact that it was done almost exclusively with Sinopharm jabs. (THE HERALD)
Other Chinese Vaccine Headlines in Africa:
- EGYPT: China and Egypt jointly agreed to provide 500,000 COVID-19 to Palestinian residents in the Gaza Strip. All of the donated jabs will be manufactured at the new Sino-Egyptian production facility located outside of Cairo. (XINHUA)
- NAMIBIA: Minister of Health Kalumbi Shangula on Monday said the country aims to vaccinate around 750,000 people against COVID-19 by the end of September. A national inoculation drive resumed yesterday, following the arrival on Friday of 250,000 doses of Sinoparhm vaccine. (XINHUA)
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.
You've reached your free monthly article limit.
Subscribe today for unlimited access.
What is The China-Africa Project?
The CAP is passionately independent, non-partisan and does not advocate for any country, company or culture.
A carefully curated selection of the day’s most important China-Africa stories. Updated 24 hours a day by human editors. No bots, no algorithms.
Diverse, often unconventional insights from scholars, analysts, journalist and a variety of stakeholders in the China-Africa discourse.
A unique professional network of China-Africa scholars, analysts, journalists and other practioners from around the world.