China appears to be leveraging the ebola crisis in West Africa to radically improve its controversial foreign aid record. In contrast to Western countries who have evacuated their medical personnel from the region, China has sent teams of experts along with millions of dollars in badly needed medical supplies. Their efforts appear to be paying off in the eyes of African public opinion, demonstrating that China’s commitment to the continent extends beyond the perception of a calculated mercantilist agenda.
Here are some of the links that we referenced in the show:
- CCTV: China gives green light to mass produce ebola test kits
- Asia One: China beats bad image with big aid to Africa
- The Diplomat: China sends aid, medical teams to fight ebola outbreak
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.