South African president Jacob Zuma personally oversaw the opening of the First Automative Works (FAW) factory in Port Elizabeth, China’s single largest investment in the country. The new production facility comes at an opportune time for South Africa as BMW, GM and other car-makers have slowed or suspended output. FAW, though, is entering potentially treacherous territory as South Africa’s notoriously aggressive unions may present a new challenge to a company ill-prepared to deal with powerful organized labor groups.
Some of the articles that we referenced in this week’s program include:
- BDLive: FAW Opens Production Plan in Coega
- iAfrica: Automaker FAW Builds New Plant in SA
- AllAfrica: SA’s Automotive Sector Moves Up a Gear
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.