Sam Pa is a mysterious man, largely unknown to the outside world. Yet Pa, who goes by at least 7 different aliases, represents the nefarious side of China’s engagement in Africa. Sam Pa and his associates in the Hong Kong-based consortium known as the 88 Queensway Group represent a new breed of predatory investors who work in the shadows to close billions of dollars in questionable deals that have no oversight of any kind.
New information about Sam Pa, the Queensway Group and shadow Chinese investors in Africa is now available in a detailed research report published by the US government funded Africa Center for Strategic Studies. ACSS Research Associate J.R. Mailey is the author of the report and joins Eric and Cobus to share shed light on the dark side of these Chinese investors in Africa.
Please see below for some of the articles and research reports referenced in the show:
- Africa Center for Strategic Studies: The Anatomy of the Resource Curse: Predatory Investments in Africa’s Extractive Industries by JR Mailey
- The Financial Times: China in Africa: How Sam Pa Became the Middleman by Tom Burgis, Demetri Sevastopulo and Cynthia O’Murchu.
- Wikipedia: Sam Pa profile
J.R. Mailey is a Research Associate at the Africa Center for Strategic Studies, where he specializes in natural resources, corruption and security in Africa. He previously worked as a researcher for the U.S.-China Economic & Security Review Commission, where he was co-author of The 88 Queensway Group: A Case Study in Chinese Investors’ Operations in Angola and Beyond. – See more at: https://africacenter.org/security/experts/j-r-mailey/#sthash.bmRsBous.dpuf
- Get a daily email packed with the latest China-Africa news and analysis.
- Read exclusive insights on the key trends shaping China-Africa relations.
- Connect with leading professionals on the China- Africa Experts Network.